Authorities" Girl's murder finally solved after nearly 20 years
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Nearly 20 years after her death, the murder of a local teenager is no longer one of Harris County's "cold cases."
It's taken nearly 20 years, but Harris County Sheriff's deputies say they have solved the murder of a local teenager. It's the news her family has waited for, but wished they never had to learn.
A 17-year-old girl was killed in her northwest Harris County home in 1994. For years, the case was unsolved, but now authorities are announcing a resolution in the case.
Detectives on the case say it was just a matter of going back and re-examining the facts. Now, after nearly 20 years, the victim's family finally has some closure.
The suspect, Christopher Sarnell, was officially charged with felony murder last week. He was located in Michigan, and turned himself in to authorities in Houston.
Sarnell was a suspect in the 1994 shooting death of Ruth Majewski, who was 17 at the time, but was never charged. Detectives say Majewski died of a single gunshot wound in the bedroom of Sarnell's home.
At the time Sarnell claimed the shooting was self-inflicted, but investigators say his statements to other people didn't match what he told detectives, and also didn't match up with the physical evidence.
Ruth's father Robert Majewski says the family thought all along Sarnell was responsible.
"We've had a lot of unanswered questions for years," he said. "It's great to finally get justice for our daughter. She was a real sweet kid."
Sarnell is facing a felony murder charge. He's currently back in Michigan, free on 50,000 dollars bond, awaiting trial.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
crime tracker, simon gutierrez
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Bodies of two women found in Galveston County 22 min ago
- Two bodies found in rubble of burned down home 24 min ago
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged 13 min ago
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- ESPN: Johnny Football signs multi-year deal
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather