Driver trapped at train crossing robbed at gunpoint
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police are investigating several armed robberies on the east end, and in at least one case, the victim was stopped at a train crossing with nowhere to run.
In the past week police have responded to a couple of reported armed robberies in this area. But an alert about a driver robbed at gunpoint simply while waiting for a train to pass really has some people worried.
It's at a railroad crossing on Runnels Street where neighbors say a violent crime happened.
Neighbor Grace Jones said, "Seeing it happened so close to where you live, it makes it kind of dangerous."
Scary for many, learning an unidentified gunman allegedly targeted a driver stuck after the arms of the railroad crossing went down last Thursday night.
Another driver Greta Langley said, "Actually, I don't know what I would do if someone came to the door or came to the window. I don't know what I would do."
Travelers are on edge, learning the victim couldn't do much. That driver was allegedly trapped when the armed robber demanded personal belongings and quickly ran off.
"It's a little unsettling," said driver Reginald Adams. "You just brought to my attention that there is a median here, and that I couldn't even pull away from here even if I wanted to."
Lieutenant Julio Banda with Harris County Precinct 6 Constable's Office says there are a few things drivers can do for their personal safety in situations like this.
"If you are in a vehicle, it's always good to be aware of your surroundings, and with your windows rolled up and with your doors locked," he said.
Lt. Banda also suggests drivers stick to well-lit areas and advise loved ones of the route you're traveling, just in case.
"I have figured out a couple of alternate routes if the train gets stuck," Langley said. "I know how to go around."
Lt. Banda also suggests not being distracted with cell phones while waiting at railroad crossings. Anyone with information about the armed robbery is urged to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
crime tracker, demond fernandez
- HPD: Homeless man kills armed burglar
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore' 1 min ago
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Officials: Texas teacher shot, killed in Benghazi
- Burning stolen truck missing $180,000 of tools
- Boy accused of setting mall fire, two others
- Can you say this tongue twister?
- SWAT standoff in SW Houston ends peacefully
- 'Polar Express' blowing across US
- More than 2 million passwords stolen
- Rare identical triplets born in California