In The Classroom
HISD awarded $31.5M for merit pay program
WASHINGTON (KTRK) -- Millions of dollars in grants coming to HISD to help fund the performance pay program. But that's not all the money will be used for.For HISD, the strategy is simple -- the better the teacher, the more money they can earn. But it's how they earn that money that's been criticized. A recent survey concluded better student scores on standardized testing wasn't necessarily the result of cash bonuses for teachers. HISD Superintendent Dr. Terry Grier stood by this merit pay program called ASPIRE.
"Our district is really a reward program which rewards teachers that get good results," Dr. Grier explained.
The US Department of Education agrees, giving 61 school districts nationwide $442 million to create merit pay programs. HISD will receive $31.5 million.
HISD will spend about half on their ASPIRE program:
The rest will be used to buy materials. All of it, says Dr. Grier, is aimed at getting and keeping top educators. It's progress, he says, that is already tangible. HISD's enrollment is up this year and the dropout rate has dipped to 15.8 percent this year.
Dr. Grier said, "You're paid basically on your years of experience and on your degree. We know there is little correlation between your degree and your effectiveness in producing higher student academic gains."
ASPIRE was a program created by Dr. Grier's predecessor but he says he will continue the program.
in the classroom, cynthia cisneros
- Traffic headache remains near La Porte
- Plans for Astrodome's fate to be discussed
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7M older model Jeeps
- Officials: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Authorities raid alleged stash house in SE Houston
- 8 hurt, some seriously, when car jumps curb in NYC 14 min ago
- Social services worker in Texas stole from clients 25 min ago
- Texas Equusearch hit by criminals
- Mentally disabled mother, child held captive in Ohio 19 min ago
- Residents fire through door, killing woman
- otrc: Katy Perry opens up about divorce 17 min ago
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue