In The Classroom
HISD awarded $31.5M for merit pay program
WASHINGTON (KTRK) -- Millions of dollars in grants coming to HISD to help fund the performance pay program. But that's not all the money will be used for.For HISD, the strategy is simple -- the better the teacher, the more money they can earn. But it's how they earn that money that's been criticized. A recent survey concluded better student scores on standardized testing wasn't necessarily the result of cash bonuses for teachers. HISD Superintendent Dr. Terry Grier stood by this merit pay program called ASPIRE.
"Our district is really a reward program which rewards teachers that get good results," Dr. Grier explained.
The US Department of Education agrees, giving 61 school districts nationwide $442 million to create merit pay programs. HISD will receive $31.5 million.
HISD will spend about half on their ASPIRE program:
The rest will be used to buy materials. All of it, says Dr. Grier, is aimed at getting and keeping top educators. It's progress, he says, that is already tangible. HISD's enrollment is up this year and the dropout rate has dipped to 15.8 percent this year.
Dr. Grier said, "You're paid basically on your years of experience and on your degree. We know there is little correlation between your degree and your effectiveness in producing higher student academic gains."
ASPIRE was a program created by Dr. Grier's predecessor but he says he will continue the program.
in the classroom, cynthia cisneros
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security
- Robbery call leads to wild chase in north Houston 17 min ago
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls 54 min ago
- Lohan says on reality show she had miscarriage
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 28 min ago
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- John Paul's legacy stained by sex abuse scandal
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls
53 min ago