In The Classroom
HISD kicks off magnet awareness week
HOUSTON -- The Houston Independent School District provides students and parents with a wide variety of choices in public education through its magnet programs.It's an effort to encourage students and parents to become familiar with HISD's magnet programs, the district is hosting its annual Magnet Awareness Week. Tours of individual schools with magnet programs will take place from Monday, November 8 through Friday, November 12.
Tours will be conducted each day starting at 1:00 p.m. After November 12, parents should phone individual schools for a schedule of tours and other events that will be conducted through early January.
"HISD has 113 schools with magnet programs and there is no limit to the number of programs students can apply to," said Lupita Hinojosa, HISD Assistant Superintendent of School Choice. "I am certain the HISD Magnet programs can meet your child's interests, talents, and academic needs."
HISD will begin accepting applications for its magnet programs on November 8. All applications must be postmarked no later then January 7, 2011 for guaranteed consideration in the first round.
Fore more information about HISD magnet schools, their locations, and contact information, as well as applications forms, visit www.houstonisd.org/magnet.
Houston isd, in the classroom
- Local post offices open today for holiday rush 41 min ago
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished 39 min ago
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband wanted
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- No more ice, but cold weather continues 16 min ago
- Houstonians to pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 26 min ago
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- South Africans pray for Mandela 51 min ago
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay
- Icy storm sends Houston workers to help North Texas
- HFD captain receives award for courage
- Member of 2005 Astros World Series team returns