In The Classroom
HISD budget shortfall may mean tax hike
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Houston school board will meet to discuss next year's budget. This is a hot button issue for the district as it awaits a big budget cut as a result of the state's nearly $15 billion shortfall.The board will meet to discuss how it will handle what is being called a budget crisis. It has already discussed layoffs and other cuts and today it is expected to discuss possibly a potential hike in property taxes.
The state is expected to cut funding to HISD by at least $200 million dollars, sending the district scrambling to find ways to make up for the loss. On the table are hundreds of layoffs. Plus, HISD is also deciding whether to make big cuts to its 113 magnet school programs.
Today, the board is expected to discuss increasing your property taxes to help balance its budget and it could also include abolishing the Homestead exemption. That's the discount many Houstonians are now taking advantage of.
HISD Superintendent Dr. Terry Grier says this is the worst state budget crisis in recent memory and they must consider everything possible.
"Last year, we eliminated approximately 400 central office positions and you're going to see more central office positions eliminated again this year," he said.
The meeting will get underway at 7:30am. We will be there and have the latest on how the students and your pocketbook will be affected.
Houston isd, in the classroom, samica knight
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash 48 min ago
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash 38 min ago
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable
- Video: Lovie Smith interviews with Texans
- Video: JJ Watt now a superhero
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos