In The Classroom
TAKS testing gets underway this week
HOUSTON -- If you have a child in public school, odds are they'll be starting their TAKS testing this week. But for some, it'll be the last year they take those tests.
That's because after this school year, the tests will be gradually retired. A new program called STAAR will take its place. It's designed for students in 3rd through 11th grade. The new tests are longer and more rigorous and some teachers are worried if students will be well-prepared amid teacher layoffs and cutbacks.
Sophomores and juniors will still take the TAKS tests, next year.
in the classroom
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore' 40 min ago
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night 45 min ago
- Bicyclist killed in Montrose-area hit-and-run 35 min ago
- Company offering big reward for return of stolen truck 9 min ago
- Woman falls through roof, rescued by firefighters
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle
- Ohio murder suspect nabbed at Houston buffet restaurant
- Thief steals man's pants and shoots him
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations