In The Classroom
University president takes unusual approach to saving money
PRAIRIE VIEW, TX -- Prairie View A&M University's President, Dr. George Wright, has decided to head back to the classroom after many years. He's doing it because of budget cuts that are affecting all state universities.
We've seen public universities go through steep budget cuts. Now one man at Prairie View A&M has found an unprecedented way to do more with less.
In a typical American history class at Prairie View A&M University, the facts don't change much. But what's special about one class is the man leading it.
Student Ashley Haley said, "I think it's a good experience to actually meet him and see what he's about and how he teaches."
Dr. George Wright isn't just any professor. He's the president of the university.
"I said let's lead by example," he said.
An educator at heart, Dr. Wright is back at the head of the classroom for the first time in nearly 20 years. He's teaching on top of his administrative duties.
"The most important part would be that I would be making a statement," Dr. Wright said. "The statement was that I wanted to do my part."
Dr. Wright isn't getting paid any extra to teach. In fact, he's saving the university $18,000 each semester. It's an effort his students applaud.
Student Mateo Ramirez said, "He listens to you, he asks you how you feel about stuff, and that is real important for a school."
Dr. Wright says his method may not work for everyone but with the help of two assistants, he is making it work for Prairie View A&M.
"What you have to do is the thing we do all the time, is just manage our time," he said.
Dr. Wright teaches every Tuesday and Thursday morning for about an hour and a half. This is his second semester teaching. Last fall he says he didn't miss a single class.
in the classroom, sonia azad
- Six UH students reportedly robbed on campus 59 min ago
- HPD: Husband dies in attempted murder-suicide
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa
- Law enforcement training program suspended
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Woman who went for smoke outside found dead on porch 43 min ago
- Beyonce's holiday surprise 20 min ago
- McDonald's employee injured during attempted robbery
- Free Stuff Friday: Holiday happenings this weekend
- Woman walking dog near Montrose sexually assaulted
- Coloring book featuring Ted Cruz selling fast
- Multiple people stabbed after Denver football game
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class
- YouTube Rewind: What does 2013 say?