In The Classroom
Katy ISD holding job fair to hire more bus drivers
KATY, TX (KTRK) -- If you are looking for a job, you may want to head over to Katy. Katy ISD is looking for new bus drivers to help bring students to and from school and they're hosting a job fair to bring in more applicants.
More than 70 applicants showed up in the first hour of this job fair Friday, which the district says is an excellent turnout. Katy ISD cut bus routes in recent months, saying it just didn't have enough drivers.
Bus drivers are part-time, split shift positions. In the last year, the Katy district has had 900 applicants, but has hired only 40 drivers, it says, primarily because there are a number of job requirements, such as a clean driving record, and obtaining a commercial driver license, as well as the district being very selective about the people who have contact with students.
Katy ISD spokesperson Steve Stanford said, "We also just need the right people with the temperament to be a bus driver, to be able to manage students. Because it's not all just about driving the bus, it's also remembering that you've got 60 to 80 students sitting behind you that you need to also manage at the same time."
"My kids are all school age now, and I heard about this on the news, about Katy needing school bus drivers and attendants," said applicant Chenequa Johnson. "I decided, well, I've worked with special needs kids in the past so this would be a great opportunity for me to work with special needs kids again."
The district needs to fill 53 positions in order to get the bus routes back to where they were last year.
katy, in the classroom, elissa rivas
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home 21 min ago
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades 23 min ago
- Black Friday shoppers' credit card info at risk
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Firefighters battle blaze at Katy Taco Bell 25 min ago
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell 5 min ago
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse 4 min ago
- Houston psychic sued over 'love ritual'
- Houston man charged with murder in wife's shooting death 56 min ago
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Valuable artifacts stolen from historic home
- Man found reading Bible after chase in NW Harris Co.
- METRO bus involved in accident near Reliant Park
- Flu widespread in Harris County
3 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos