In The Classroom
Alvin teacher wins prestigious award
ALVIN, TX (KTRK) -- A local school teacher has won a major award and a big check for her work in the classroom.
Governor Rick Perry surprised Alvin ISD teacher Kristi Plummer with the 2012 national Milken Educator Award. Plummer is one of 40 teachers in the country who will receive this award.
The California-based Milken Family Foundation issues the award based on what teachers have already achieved, as well as the promise of their future accomplishments.
Passmore Elementary School teacher Kristi Plummer said, "I'm in shock. I had no idea. I love being a teacher. I love my job. I love coming to work every day all because of you kids."
Plummer did not know that she was under consideration for the Milken award because the selection process is carried out in a confidential manner. Plummer is the only Texas educator to receive the 2012 award.
Plummer began teaching in the 2007-2008 school year and has now taught fourth, fifth and sixth grade math and fourth grade science. Beginning this year, she is working as a math interventionalist, which means she works with at-risk students to help them develop stronger math skills.
This award is considered the Oscar of teaching and comes with an unrestricted $25,000 cash prize.
Since the award's creation 26 years ago, the program has honored more than 2,500 educators and issued more than $63 million in cash prizes. To date, 44 Texas educators have been named Milken Educator Award recipients and have received a total of $1.1 million in prizes.
Learn more about the Milken Educator Awards at www.milkeneducatorawards.org.
in the classroom
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant
- Student caught with gun on campus
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area?
- Age, injury not stopping this softball player
40 min ago
- Ike-damaged Galveston church gets facelift
23 min ago