Jennifer Hudson headlines state dinner
WASHINGTON -- It's an all-star lineup for Tuesday's first state dinner of the Obama White House: Oscar-winners Jennifer Hudson and A.R. Rahman headline the entertainment list.
Hudson won an Academy Award for her role in the movie "Dreamgirls." Rahman won two for music in "Slumdog Millionaire," including the Best Original Song award for "Jai Ho."
Also performing: Kurt Elling, a Grammy-winning jazz singer and composer, and the National Symphony Orchestra, with Marvin Hamlisch conducting.
The dinner for Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will be in a tent on the White House South Lawn. Guests will dine at tables for 10 with apple-green linens. Deep purple flowers are meant to evoke the state bird of India, the peacock.
the white house, entertainment
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course