Jennifer Hudson headlines state dinner
WASHINGTON -- It's an all-star lineup for Tuesday's first state dinner of the Obama White House: Oscar-winners Jennifer Hudson and A.R. Rahman headline the entertainment list.
Hudson won an Academy Award for her role in the movie "Dreamgirls." Rahman won two for music in "Slumdog Millionaire," including the Best Original Song award for "Jai Ho."
Also performing: Kurt Elling, a Grammy-winning jazz singer and composer, and the National Symphony Orchestra, with Marvin Hamlisch conducting.
The dinner for Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will be in a tent on the White House South Lawn. Guests will dine at tables for 10 with apple-green linens. Deep purple flowers are meant to evoke the state bird of India, the peacock.
the white house, entertainment
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HISD principal, administrator arrested in Alabama
- Know the guy in this surveillance video?
- Vandals strike vehicles in Woodland Heights
- Backyard sinkhole nightmare finally ends
- Raw sewage seeping into Oak Forest homes
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped 10 min ago
- Coach accused of tattooing a minor
- 200lb generator stolen from man's driveway
- Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel named Heisman finalist
- 2 teens arrested for Sienna Plantation vandalism 18 min ago
- Toilet of the future changes how you ... sit
- Miley Cyrus is MTV's artist of the year
- Video: Wade Phillips on life after Kubiak