Cuomo leaving GMA show for '20/20'
NEW YORK -- ABC says Chris Cuomo is leaving "Good Morning America" to co-host the newsmagazine "20/20."
The move paves the way for the announcement -- expected imminently -- that George Stephanopoulos will join the morning show.
Cuomo has been the newsreader on "Good Morning America." His last day will be Friday, the same day as co-host Diane Sawyer, who is replacing the retiring Charles Gibson on "World News."
Cuomo had been considered the main competition to Stephanopoulos for Sawyer's old job. His move to the evening will pair him with co-host Elizabeth Vargas.
20/20, good morning america, entertainment
- NASA hopes to avoid emergency spacewalk on ISS
- Woman's life spared by inches in freak accident
- Cyclists ride to honor woman killed in hit-and-run
- Witnesses pull woman from fiery wreck
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- California man accused of running 'revenge porn' site
- No jail for teen whose lawyers argued 'affluenza'
- Two of 3 suspected burglars caught in the act 31 min ago
- Dead leopard, other swag snagged at mansion party
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Restaurant robbery attempt foiled by quick-thinking worker
- Exxon Mobil building evacuated due to fire on roof
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations