Barbara Walters to undergo heart surgery
NEW YORK -- Barbara Walters says she will have surgery later this week to replace a faulty heart valve.
The television legend made the announcement Monday on ABC's "The View." Walters said she's known about her condition for a while and thought the time was right for the surgery because she can take the summer off and "can come roaring back in September."
Walters is 80. She's one of television news' best-known personalities for her interviews. She started the daytime talk show "The View" in the 1990s and it became a durable hit.
Asked by co-host Whoopi Goldberg if she is scared, Walters said: "Look, nobody wants to have this kind of surgery."
ABC and KTRK-TV are owned by The Walt Disney Co.
the view, talk show, television, entertainment
- Bodies of two women found in Galveston County
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged 38 min ago
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe? 20 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home 39 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan
- Save during spring break with freebies 13 min ago
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- Houston rodeo therapeutic experience for some
31 min ago