Stars come out to say goodbye to Oprah
CHICAGO, IL -- Celebrity after celebrity bid Oprah Winfrey farewell in Chicago, surprising her during a double-episode taping of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" that will precede her finale.Winfrey received a standing ovation from the crowd at the United Center. She thanked the 13,000 fans who came to watch the taping for their support.
Aretha Franklin sang "Amazing Grace." Tom Hanks was host for the evening. Michael Jordan told Winfrey she inspires him. Tom Cruise, famous for his couch jumping on Winfrey's show, was there. Jerry Seinfeld gave a comedy routine. And Madonna said she is among the millions who are inspired by Winfrey.
Winfrey announced in November 2009 that she would end her show after 25 years. Tuesday's taping will air May 23 and 24, before Winfrey's final show on May 25.
oprah winfrey, entertainment
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshall: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Mark Kelly, twin brother enlisted for NASA study
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Will Justin Bieber be at Houston rodeo?