South Korean pop star Rain says he's joining army
SEOUL, SK -- South Korean pop star Rain is joining the army.
The 29-year-old singer and actor said Friday that he will enlist in the South Korean military next month.
All able-bodied South Korean men are required to serve two to three years in the military, a legacy of the Korean War of the 1950s.
Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, said on his website that he hopes to come back "more mature."
He said: "I'll serve faithfully and diligently."
One of Asia's most popular stars, Rain made his Hollywood film debut in "Speed Racer" in 2008 and appeared in "Ninja Assassin" the following year.
south korea, entertainment
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold
- Chase suspect crashes into tree in NW Houston
- Good Samaritan saves Christmas for foster child
- Mystery illness kills 4 in Montgomery County
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Suit: Risk of fire aboard Carnival's 'Triumph' known
- Delivery man hides present in trash...on trash day 49 min ago
- Man victimized in 'knockout game' style attack
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier 52 min ago
- Ashby High Rise opponents dealt winning hand
- Man tries to trade gator for beer
- Half-ton chocolate Santa on display at Hilton Americas
- Guide dog saves blind man who fell on subway tracks 19 min ago
- Feds: Harvard bomb threat was hoax to avoid final