Pop sensation Rain joins South Korean army
UIJEONGBU, South Korea -- South Korean pop star Rain is temporarily giving up his entertainment career to join the military.
The 29-year-old singer and actor gave a military salute to tearful fans Tuesday before walking into a boot camp in the city of Uijeongbu north of Seoul.
Many of the hundreds of fans gathered in front of the base were from Japan and China.
All able-bodied South Korean men are required to serve two to three years in the military, a legacy of the Korean War of the 1950s. Rain isn't expected to receive any special treatment during his time in the army.
Rain's real name is Jung Ji-hoon. He is one of Asia's most popular stars.
He made his Hollywood film debut in "Speed Racer" in 2008.
south korea, entertainment
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus 19 min ago
- Winter weather wreaks havoc across North Texas
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- South Africans mourn, celebrate Mandela 1 min ago
- Police: Galveston pair arrested with 13 pounds of marijuana
- How Mandela changed everything with a rugby jersey
- Instead of drive-thru breakfast, couple gets bag of cash
- Worker dies in trench collapse in NW Harris County
- Photos: Share Your Holidays Food Drive
- Business owner turns to social media to find shoplifter
- They're serious about spitting in Minnesota!