Pop sensation Rain joins South Korean army
UIJEONGBU, South Korea -- South Korean pop star Rain is temporarily giving up his entertainment career to join the military.
The 29-year-old singer and actor gave a military salute to tearful fans Tuesday before walking into a boot camp in the city of Uijeongbu north of Seoul.
Many of the hundreds of fans gathered in front of the base were from Japan and China.
All able-bodied South Korean men are required to serve two to three years in the military, a legacy of the Korean War of the 1950s. Rain isn't expected to receive any special treatment during his time in the army.
Rain's real name is Jung Ji-hoon. He is one of Asia's most popular stars.
He made his Hollywood film debut in "Speed Racer" in 2008.
south korea, entertainment
- Montgomery County DWI cases under scrutiny
- Tomball man accused of setting mom's car on fire
- HPD: Dead man found at grow house
- Driver charged with murder after deadly police chase
- Sketch of rapist suspect released
- Police: Teen at center of alleged assault partially lied
- Police: W. Houston apartment fire was no accident
- Man tells deputies he shot his wife
- Whataburger ketchup hits grocery shelves
- Houston city pools open this weekend
- Deputy killed in wreck to be laid to rest Saturday
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- raw video: Pilot captures video of volcano eruption
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos