Pop sensation Rain joins South Korean army
UIJEONGBU, South Korea -- South Korean pop star Rain is temporarily giving up his entertainment career to join the military.
The 29-year-old singer and actor gave a military salute to tearful fans Tuesday before walking into a boot camp in the city of Uijeongbu north of Seoul.
Many of the hundreds of fans gathered in front of the base were from Japan and China.
All able-bodied South Korean men are required to serve two to three years in the military, a legacy of the Korean War of the 1950s. Rain isn't expected to receive any special treatment during his time in the army.
Rain's real name is Jung Ji-hoon. He is one of Asia's most popular stars.
He made his Hollywood film debut in "Speed Racer" in 2008.
south korea, entertainment
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure 24 min ago
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 25 min ago
- IRS uses woman's tax refund to pay old debt 18 min ago
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Church offering drive-through prayers
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Missouri City man charged in wife's death
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Recognize either of these guys?
- Texans re-sign tight end Garrett Graham
- Rice hoops coach Ben Braun resigns