Panetta congratulates Iraq vet for winning 'Dancing'
LOS ANGELES, CA -- Winning `Dancing With the Stars' has landed J.R. Martinez an invitation to the Pentagon.
A military spokesman says Defense Secretary Leon Panetta called Martinez today to congratulate him on winning the competition. Captain John Kirby says plans are now in the works for Martinez to visit the Defense Department soon.
Martinez is an Iraq war veteran who was badly burned when a land mine exploded under the Humvee he was driving.
Kirby says Panetta called Martinez "a testament to the strength and the resilience of our wounded warriors."
dancing with the stars, entertainment
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course