Panetta congratulates Iraq vet for winning 'Dancing'
LOS ANGELES, CA -- Winning `Dancing With the Stars' has landed J.R. Martinez an invitation to the Pentagon.
A military spokesman says Defense Secretary Leon Panetta called Martinez today to congratulate him on winning the competition. Captain John Kirby says plans are now in the works for Martinez to visit the Defense Department soon.
Martinez is an Iraq war veteran who was badly burned when a land mine exploded under the Humvee he was driving.
Kirby says Panetta called Martinez "a testament to the strength and the resilience of our wounded warriors."
dancing with the stars, entertainment
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband wanted
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Winter Weather advisory for several local counties
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished Sunday
- Icy storm sends Houston workers to help North Texas
- Rice wins C-USA title with 41-24 win over Marshall
- HFD captain receives award for courage
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay
- Member of 2005 Astros World Series team returns
- Dog rescued from fire in Conroe
- Drivers stuck on icy I-35 as cold blast hits Texas
- US tourist and war vet, 85, free from NKorea