Warhol painting of Taylor fetches $662K in NY
NEW YORK -- An Andy Warhol painting of Elizabeth Taylor sold for over $662,000 at auction in New York.
The painting was included in Christie's auction house sale Wednesday of jewelry and other items from the collection of the late actress, who starred in "National Velvet" and "Cleopatra." A wedding dress worn at her second marriage to Richard Burton sold for over $62,000.
The jewelry portion of the auction fetched over $137 million. Highlights were $11.8 million for a pearl necklace and more than $8.8 million for a diamond ring given to her by Burton. Prices include the buyer's premium.
Other sales of Taylor's art, clothing and memorabilia will be held through the week. An online-only sale of some items runs until Saturday.
Taylor died in Los Angeles in March at age 79.
new york, entertainment
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe 31 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife 1 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant
- Student caught with gun on campus 6 min ago
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area? 33 min ago