Warhol painting of Taylor fetches $662K in NY
NEW YORK -- An Andy Warhol painting of Elizabeth Taylor sold for over $662,000 at auction in New York.
The painting was included in Christie's auction house sale Wednesday of jewelry and other items from the collection of the late actress, who starred in "National Velvet" and "Cleopatra." A wedding dress worn at her second marriage to Richard Burton sold for over $62,000.
The jewelry portion of the auction fetched over $137 million. Highlights were $11.8 million for a pearl necklace and more than $8.8 million for a diamond ring given to her by Burton. Prices include the buyer's premium.
Other sales of Taylor's art, clothing and memorabilia will be held through the week. An online-only sale of some items runs until Saturday.
Taylor died in Los Angeles in March at age 79.
new york, entertainment
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin 58 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale