No dancing on TV in Sharapova's future
INDIAN WELLS, CA -- Don't look for Maria Sharapova to strut her stuff on "Dancing With the Stars."
She says she wouldn't be interested in following in the dancing shoes of fellow tennis superstar Martina Navratilova, who is among the newest celebrities set to dance when the show begins March 19.
"Even though I like to dance and all, there's something about dancing in prom costumes in front of national television that is just not very appealing to me," Sharapova said Tuesday after her match at the BNP Paribas Open tournament in Indian Wells.
The former Wimbledon champion says she's never really watched the ABC reality hit, and isn't sure what it takes to win that kind of competition.
"Like is it a lot of practice or is it personality?" she said.
If she was asked to be on the show, Sharapova said she would say no.
"I hope I'd have the same answer if I was asked in 10 years," she added.
Sharapova, who rakes in millions off the court in endorsements, recently appeared on the late-night show "Chelsea Lately," and attended the Vanity Fair Oscar night party.
The 24-year-old Russian says she enjoys writing and would like to write a book about her life.
"There is just a lot of things that maybe my fans and people that have not exactly known about the way I grew up and the way I came to be a player," she said. "My journal entries that I wrote when I was a young kid, I still have those and I really want them to be one day a part of that. It's something that when I have time I will sit down and just really write."
dancing with the stars, entertainment
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold 15 min ago
- Chase suspect crashes into tree in NW Houston 4 min ago
- Good Samaritan saves Christmas for foster child 29 min ago
- Mystery illness kills 4 in Montgomery County
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Suit: Risk of fire aboard Carnival's 'Triumph' known 13 min ago
- Man victimized in 'knockout game' style attack
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier 41 min ago
- Ashby High Rise opponents dealt winning hand
- Half-ton chocolate Santa on display at Hilton Americas 10 min ago
- 800 firefighters battle late fall fire in Big Sur
- Feds: Harvard bomb threat was hoax to avoid final
- DA tries again to put 'affluenza' teen behind bars
- Tougher new rules for game rooms