No dancing on TV in Sharapova's future
INDIAN WELLS, CA -- Don't look for Maria Sharapova to strut her stuff on "Dancing With the Stars."
She says she wouldn't be interested in following in the dancing shoes of fellow tennis superstar Martina Navratilova, who is among the newest celebrities set to dance when the show begins March 19.
"Even though I like to dance and all, there's something about dancing in prom costumes in front of national television that is just not very appealing to me," Sharapova said Tuesday after her match at the BNP Paribas Open tournament in Indian Wells.
The former Wimbledon champion says she's never really watched the ABC reality hit, and isn't sure what it takes to win that kind of competition.
"Like is it a lot of practice or is it personality?" she said.
If she was asked to be on the show, Sharapova said she would say no.
"I hope I'd have the same answer if I was asked in 10 years," she added.
Sharapova, who rakes in millions off the court in endorsements, recently appeared on the late-night show "Chelsea Lately," and attended the Vanity Fair Oscar night party.
The 24-year-old Russian says she enjoys writing and would like to write a book about her life.
"There is just a lot of things that maybe my fans and people that have not exactly known about the way I grew up and the way I came to be a player," she said. "My journal entries that I wrote when I was a young kid, I still have those and I really want them to be one day a part of that. It's something that when I have time I will sit down and just really write."
dancing with the stars, entertainment
- Traffic headache remains near La Porte
- Plans for Astrodome's fate to be discussed
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7M older model Jeeps
- Officials: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Country singer Slim Whitman dies at age 90 40 min ago
- Authorities raid alleged stash house in SE Houston
- 8 hurt, some seriously, when car jumps curb in NYC
- Social services worker stole from clients in SE Texas 58 min ago
- Texas Equusearch hit by criminals
- Mentally disabled mother, child held captive in Ohio
- otrc: John Mayer debuts new song 48 min ago
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos