Death certificate: Griffith died of heart attack
RALEIGH, NC -- The death certificate for Andy Griffith says the actor's death earlier this week was caused by a heart attack.
The certificate says the 86-year-old had suffered the attack 24 hours before he died at 7 a.m. Tuesday. It also says he had suffered for years from other illnesses, including coronary artery disease, hypertension and hyperlipidemia, which can be a form of high cholesterol or high triglycerides.
Griffith's death certificate was filed Thursday with the vital records office in Dare County. It says he's buried in the Griffith Family Cemetery in Manteo. Dr. Johnny Farrow of Manteo signed the certificate.
Griffith was best known for playing Sheriff Andy Taylor in "The Andy Griffith Show," which aired from 1960 to 1968. He was born in Mount Airy and lived in Manteo.
north carolina, entertainment
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk 31 min ago
- Severe weather clears Houston 48 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud 12 min ago
- New Houston light rail line to open for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting 15 min ago
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Man barricades himself in house after allegedly killing wife 24 min ago
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking
- Ice pellets and snow frustrate holiday travel rush
- 'Topless' protest falls flat on Brazil beach
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?