Kathy Bates recovering from double mastectomy
NEW YORK -- Kathy Bates says she is recovering from a double mastectomy.
The Oscar-winning actress tweeted on Wednesday that she was diagnosed with breast cancer two months ago. But in a separate post, she said she doesn't miss her breasts as much as "Harry's Law," her NBC law drama that was canceled last May.
An ovarian cancer survivor for "nine years and counting," Bates, 64, released a statement through her publicist saying that she decided to have the operation "after much consideration" and won't have to undergo radiation or chemotherapy. Her doctors have assured her she'll be around "for a long time."
"My family calls me Kat because I always land on my feet and thankfully this is no exception," Bates said. "I'm looking forward to getting back to work doing what I love to do."
Bates won a Best Actress Oscar in 1991 for "Misery," and this year is nominated for two Emmys: For "Harry's Law" and for her guest shot on "Two and a Half Men."
- Police: W. Houston apartment fire was no accident
- I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Innocent mom killed, kids injured at end of chase
- Boy Scouts to allow openly gay Scouts in its ranks
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Sketch of rapist suspect released 2 min ago
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- JJ Watt 'MegaWatt' shoes will soon hit store shelves
- 13 Things to Know for Friday
- Tomball man accused of setting mom's car on fire
- Amanda Bynes arrested over bong
- Photos: Most Wanted FBI Fugitives
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- Travis Herzog's weather forecast
19 min ago
- Surgeons remove tiger's basketball-sized...
55 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos