Behind the scenes with co-hosts of 'Live! With Kelly and Michael'
NEW YORK (KTRK) -- You've seen the show "Live! With Kelly and Michael." It's fun-filled entertainment for all of us watching at home. But when we visited the set in New York City, we also found out what happens during commercial breaks.
The day starts early inside the WABC building in New York. The set is buzzing with producers and directors rehearsing. On this particular day, they were also prepping for wild animals and actor Gerard Butler was that day's biggest celebrity.
But their most important guests were everyone who lined up to grab a good seat.
"The audience is everything. I mean to me, the audience is the third co-host," co-host Kelly Ripa said. "It's like guests coming over for breakfast at our house and we're having a conversation."
As the studio audience filtered in, they were rather quiet until a concerted effort by the show's executive producer, Michael Gelman, got them fired up.
Then moments before the show started, Ripa and Michael Strahan appeared on stage. It was show time.
"When you come out and they play music and you come from backstage, the energy of the audience just brightens your morning. It keeps you going. It makes the show," Strahan said.
The control room is the central nervous system of the show. It's in charge of the audio and cameras, counting down every second.
You've seen the segments on air. But what you don't see is what happens during commercial breaks. Yes, sometimes there's a quick make-up touch up, but mostly it is lots of fun.
It's also during the commercial breaks when you realize that to Ripa and Strahan, their live audience is everything. It's a tradition Regis Philbin started decades ago.
"I love talking in between the segments to the audience. I think that's great, too, because we want them to have a great experience when they come here to the show," Strahan said. "It's not just come and watch us do our thing and in between, we don't relate to you. No, we relate, we need them and we want to show that when they come."
The show airs at 9am weekdays on ABC13.
entertainment, ilona carson
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations 58 min ago
- Local post offices open Sundays for holiday rush 25 min ago
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- North Korea says Kim's uncle removed from power 7 min ago
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004 40 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial expected to draw thousands 42 min ago
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- North Texans dealing with ice storm aftermath
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay
- Ukraine protesters topple Lenin statue
48 min ago