Behind the scenes with co-hosts of 'Live! With Kelly and Michael'
NEW YORK (KTRK) -- You've seen the show "Live! With Kelly and Michael." It's fun-filled entertainment for all of us watching at home. But when we visited the set in New York City, we also found out what happens during commercial breaks.
The day starts early inside the WABC building in New York. The set is buzzing with producers and directors rehearsing. On this particular day, they were also prepping for wild animals and actor Gerard Butler was that day's biggest celebrity.
But their most important guests were everyone who lined up to grab a good seat.
"The audience is everything. I mean to me, the audience is the third co-host," co-host Kelly Ripa said. "It's like guests coming over for breakfast at our house and we're having a conversation."
As the studio audience filtered in, they were rather quiet until a concerted effort by the show's executive producer, Michael Gelman, got them fired up.
Then moments before the show started, Ripa and Michael Strahan appeared on stage. It was show time.
"When you come out and they play music and you come from backstage, the energy of the audience just brightens your morning. It keeps you going. It makes the show," Strahan said.
The control room is the central nervous system of the show. It's in charge of the audio and cameras, counting down every second.
You've seen the segments on air. But what you don't see is what happens during commercial breaks. Yes, sometimes there's a quick make-up touch up, but mostly it is lots of fun.
It's also during the commercial breaks when you realize that to Ripa and Strahan, their live audience is everything. It's a tradition Regis Philbin started decades ago.
"I love talking in between the segments to the audience. I think that's great, too, because we want them to have a great experience when they come here to the show," Strahan said. "It's not just come and watch us do our thing and in between, we don't relate to you. No, we relate, we need them and we want to show that when they come."
The show airs at 9am weekdays on ABC13.
entertainment, ilona carson
- Liberty Institute: Girl told not to read Bible in class
- Man shot four times in north Harris County
- Nurse recalls trying to save teen killed in wreck
- Joy ride turns tragic for Conroe teens
- Two dead in NW Houston nursing home shooting 9 min ago
- UH student robbed of phone on campus
- Harris County IDs suspects in meat market break-ins
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- IRS awards bonuses to 1,100 who owe back taxes 50 min ago
- Massive shark reeled in from Gulf
- Toddler flown to hospital after dog bit him in the face 44 min ago
- Woman says used car's sweet deal turned sour
- Volunteer fire chief dies while battling Brazoria Co. fire