Trace Adkins explains Confederate flag earpiece
NEW YORK -- Trace Adkins wore an earpiece decorated like the Confederate flag when he performed for the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting but says he meant no offense by it.
Adkins appeared with the earpiece on a nationally televised special for the lighting on Wednesday. Some regard the flag as a racist symbol and criticized Adkins in Twitter postings.
But in a statement released Thursday, the Louisiana native called himself a proud American who objects to any oppression and says the flag represents his Southern heritage.
He noted he's a descendant of Confederate soldiers and says he did not intend offense by wearing it.
Adkins -- on a USO tour in Japan -- also called for the preservation of America's battlefields and an "honest conversation about the country's history."
- 4 killed, 3 injured in Pasadena taxi cab wreck
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested 50 min ago
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case 49 min ago
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick 26 min ago
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line
- Behold, the pizza cake
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 44 min ago
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Teacher denies sex crimes in YouTube case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Spurs fans wearing team spirit on their heads
48 min ago