Trace Adkins explains Confederate flag earpiece
NEW YORK -- Trace Adkins wore an earpiece decorated like the Confederate flag when he performed for the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting but says he meant no offense by it.
Adkins appeared with the earpiece on a nationally televised special for the lighting on Wednesday. Some regard the flag as a racist symbol and criticized Adkins in Twitter postings.
But in a statement released Thursday, the Louisiana native called himself a proud American who objects to any oppression and says the flag represents his Southern heritage.
He noted he's a descendant of Confederate soldiers and says he did not intend offense by wearing it.
Adkins -- on a USO tour in Japan -- also called for the preservation of America's battlefields and an "honest conversation about the country's history."
- HPD: Dead man found at grow house
- Driver charged with murder after deadly police chase 36 min ago
- Sketch of rapist suspect released
- Police: W. Houston apartment fire was no accident
- Man tells deputies he shot his wife
- Liberty Co. jailer accused of smuggling drugs to inmates
- Whataburger ketchup hits grocery shelves 5 min ago
- Alleged drug money seized in Liberty County 7 min ago
- Houston city pools open this weekend 8 min ago
- Deputy killed in wreck to be laid to rest Saturday 12 min ago
- JJ Watt 'MegaWatt' shoes will soon hit store shelves
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- raw video: Pilot captures video of volcano eruption
- Comic and sci fi fans get their fix at...
59 min ago