Pop star Rain disciplined for meeting with actress
SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korea's Defense Ministry has decided to confine pop star Rain to his base for a week for meeting with an actress while on duty.
The penalty is the lightest a South Korean soldier can face. Paparazzi photos recently showed Rain with actress Kim Tae-hee when he wasn't allowed to have private meetings while outside his base for official duties such as recording and performing.
Rain is fulfilling his two-year mandatory military service as an "entertainment soldier." His meetings with Kim raised suspicions that the military was coddling popular entertainers with special favors because they help enhance its image. Officials deny it.
Rain has starred in the Hollywood films "Speed Racer" and "Ninja Assassin." Time magazine named him one of the world's 100 most influential people in 2011.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1 58 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change 35 min ago
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash 39 min ago
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail
- No charges for Harris Co. judge accused of falsifying records