Pop star Rain disciplined for meeting with actress
SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korea's Defense Ministry has decided to confine pop star Rain to his base for a week for meeting with an actress while on duty.
The penalty is the lightest a South Korean soldier can face. Paparazzi photos recently showed Rain with actress Kim Tae-hee when he wasn't allowed to have private meetings while outside his base for official duties such as recording and performing.
Rain is fulfilling his two-year mandatory military service as an "entertainment soldier." His meetings with Kim raised suspicions that the military was coddling popular entertainers with special favors because they help enhance its image. Officials deny it.
Rain has starred in the Hollywood films "Speed Racer" and "Ninja Assassin." Time magazine named him one of the world's 100 most influential people in 2011.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect 32 min ago
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 25 min ago
- One killed in head on collision with dump truck
- Search expands for missing Rice U student
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from hotel
- Teen arrested after allegedly racing illegally 41 min ago
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans