Maryland, Illinois top 2nd night of Miss America
LAS VEGAS, NV -- Miss Maryland and Miss Illinois have picked up prizes in the second day of preliminary Miss America competition in Las Vegas.
Miss Maryland Joanna Guy took top honors Wednesday after singing "I Dreamed a Dream" at the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino. The 21-year-old from Swanton, Md., will take home a $2,000 Amway scholarship.
Miss Illinois Megan Ervin took the trophy for the second round of the Lifestyle and Fitness category after modeling a Catalina swimsuit. The 23-year-old from Rushville, Ill., earned a $1,000 Amway scholarship for it.
Contestants are divided into three groups and compete in different categories during three nights of preliminaries. Their scores will factor in the finals that will be broadcast live on Saturday.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- weather: Storms moving through southeast Texas
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas 41 min ago
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe 44 min ago
- Hail coming down in parts of viewing area 17 min ago
- Armed robber was never told to report to prison 36 min ago
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green
- Most insane job interview ever
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt
- Hail comes down in Stafford
7 min ago