Band: Beyonce lip synced US anthem at inaugural
WASHINGTON -- Beyonce lip-synced the national anthem during her rousing performance at President Barack Obama's inauguration, according to the U.S. Marine Band.
A band spokeswoman told news outlets Tuesday that the band was notified at the last minute that Beyonce would use a pre-recorded voice track. The band played their instruments live.
All inaugural music is pre-recorded in case weather conditions or other circumstances could interrupt the program.
A representative for Beyonce did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Kelly Clarkson's representative said she sang live to perform "My Country, `Tis of Thee."
The use of a recording is typical in big events. In 2009, cellist Yo-Yo Ma was questioned about "hand-synching" for Obama's first inauguration. Ma said instruments weren't functioning properly in 19-degree weather.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95 6 min ago
- Arctic cold front blows in
- Bank-robbing dad gets 24 years in prison
- Dr. accused of writing 'whore' on woman's mirror
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 tonight
- Topless woman chases peeping tom through store
- Testimony continues in baby death trial
- Officials: Texas teacher shot, killed in Benghazi
- No charges for FSU QB accused of rape
- Burning stolen truck missing $180,000 of tools
- Fast food workers plan to again protest wages
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Can you say this tongue twister?