Lou Myers, Mr. Gaines on 'A Different World,' dies
CHARLESTON, W. VA -- Actor Lou Myers, best known for his role as Mr. Gaines on the television series "A Different World," has died.
Tonia McDonald of Myers' nonprofit, Global Business Incubation Inc., says Myers died Tuesday night at Charleston Area Medical Center in West Virginia. She said he was 76.
McDonald said Wednesday that Myers had been in-and-out of the hospital since before Christmas and collapsed recently. She says an autopsy was planned.
A native of Chesapeake, W.Va., Myers had returned to the state and lived in the Charleston area.
His TV credits included "NYPD Blue," "E.R.," "The Cosby Show," "Touched by an Angel," and more. He also appeared in a number of films, including "Tin Cup," "How Stella Got Her Groove Back," "Wedding Planner" and more.
"A Different World" ran from 1987-93 and originally starred Lisa Bonet from "Cosby" fame.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 5 min ago
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?' 22 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss 30 min ago
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen 55 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 13 min ago
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- Federal government could get involved in school fight 46 min ago
- First the wind, then the cold 9 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Fix the most common mistakes made at the gym 31 min ago
- Spruce up your furniture for spring
24 min ago
- Fix the most common mistakes made at the gym
31 min ago