Embattled Paula Deen a no-show on Friday's 'Today'
NEW YORK -- Celebrity cook Paula Deen was a no-show Friday at the "Today" show, where she was scheduled to appear to answer questions about past use of racial slurs.
"Today" host Matt Lauer told viewers he had spoken with Deen the day before to arrange what NBC had promoted as an exclusive, live appearance.
But shortly before the show went on the air Friday, Lauer said he was told by a Deen representative that she was pulling out.
Phone calls from The Associated Press to a representative for Deen weren't immediately returned.
While questioned last month in a discrimination lawsuit, the 66-year-old Food Network star admitted to having used racial slurs in the past, but insisted she and her family do not tolerate prejudice.
The Food Network said Thursday it doesn't tolerate any form of discrimination and is looking into the situation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane 59 min ago
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat