Embattled Paula Deen a no-show on Friday's 'Today'
NEW YORK -- Celebrity cook Paula Deen was a no-show Friday at the "Today" show, where she was scheduled to appear to answer questions about past use of racial slurs.
"Today" host Matt Lauer told viewers he had spoken with Deen the day before to arrange what NBC had promoted as an exclusive, live appearance.
But shortly before the show went on the air Friday, Lauer said he was told by a Deen representative that she was pulling out.
Phone calls from The Associated Press to a representative for Deen weren't immediately returned.
While questioned last month in a discrimination lawsuit, the 66-year-old Food Network star admitted to having used racial slurs in the past, but insisted she and her family do not tolerate prejudice.
The Food Network said Thursday it doesn't tolerate any form of discrimination and is looking into the situation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged 21 min ago
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle 14 min ago
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour record
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- North Texans dealing with ice storm aftermath
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Officials find 11 dead whales in Florida Keys
- Local post offices open Sundays for holiday rush
- No more ice, but cold weather continues 33 min ago
- David Tillman's weather forecast
50 min ago