Elton John cancels London show due to appendicitis
LONDON -- Elton John has canceled a show in London's Hyde Park due to appendicitis that will require surgery.
A statement issued Tuesday by the musician's publicist said John was suffering from an inflamed appendix and surrounding abscess.
He has been advised by doctors to cancel his concerts while he undergoes a regime of antibiotics to treat the abscess. That will be followed by surgery in the next few weeks.
The statement said John fell ill during his recent European tour, but "is eager to be back on top form and return to play the remaining shows starting in early September 2013."
The 66-year-old performer had been due to play an outdoor concert in London's Hyde Park on Friday on a bill with Elvis Costello and Ray Davies.
Last year John canceled several U.S. dates after being diagnosed with a respiratory infection.
His new album, "The Diving Board," is due out in September.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped 33 min ago
- HISD principal, administrator arrested in Alabama
- Vandals strike vehicles in Woodland Heights
- Holiday mail, shipping: You're running out of time! 12 min ago
- Backyard sinkhole nightmare finally ends
- Know the guy in this surveillance video?
- Driveway theft of 200lb generator caught on camera 27 min ago
- SAPD: Fatally shot student from Baytown charged officer 53 min ago
- Stockman challenges Cornyn in Texas US Senate race
- Raw sewage seeping into Oak Forest homes
- Restaurant apologizes for racist sign
- Video: Wade Phillips on life after Kubiak