PR firm: Randy Travis in surgery after suffering stroke as result of congestive heart failure
NASHVILLE, TN -- The PR firm representing Randy Travis says the country music star has suffered a stroke as a result of his congestive heart failure and is undergoing surgery to relieve pressure on his brain.
Wester & Associates says Travis is in critical condition.
"We will have updates as they become available. His family and friends here with him at the hospital request your prayers and support," the firm wrote in a prepared statement.
Travis was in good health until three weeks before he was hospitalized because of a viral respiratory illness he contracted. Drs. William Gray and Michael Mack of The Heart Hospital Baylor Plano said that virus then escalated into the congestive heart failure and the singer had a procedure to increase blood flow.
The 54-year-old Grammy Award-winning singer, best known for hits "Forever and Ever, Amen" and "Three Wooden Crosses," became ill after a virus infected his heart muscle, causing it to become weakened and enlarged so that it could not pump properly. Cardiomyopathy can lead to heart failure.
Travis is best known for "I Told You So," "Three Wooden Crosses," "Forever and Ever, Amen," "Diggin' Up Bones," and "Deeper Than the Holler".
Travis has been a popular performer at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, appearing five times, most recently in 2004.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Bank-robbing dad gets 24 years in prison
- HPD: Homeless man kills armed burglar
- Dr. accused of writing 'whore' on woman's mirror
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 tonight
- Topless woman chases peeping tom through store
- Testimony continues in baby death trial 36 min ago
- Officials: Texas teacher shot, killed in Benghazi
- No charges for FSU QB accused of rape
- Burning stolen truck missing $180,000 of tools
- Fast food workers plan to again protest wages
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Can you say this tongue twister?
- Video: Beer is for more than just drinking!