Celebrity chef Paula Deen poses for a portrait in New York. (AP Photo/Carlo Allegri, File) (AP Photo)
SAVANNAH, GA -- Paula Deen has replaced her lead legal team, the latest fallout from her admission she used racial slurs in the past.
Deen announced last week she had cut ties with her longtime agent who helped make her a Food Network star and start a media and merchandising empire that has largely collapsed.
Grace Speights, an attorney for Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, has been retained as the new lead counsel for Paula Deen Enterprises Inc. and other defendants in an employment discrimination lawsuit, according to Jennifer Costa, a spokeswoman for the Washington-based firm.
The lawsuit was filed by Lisa Jackson, who once worked as a manager at Uncle Bubba's Seafood and Oyster House, which Deen co-owns with her brother, Bubba Hiers. Jackson says she was sexually harassed and worked in an environment rife with racial slurs and innuendo.
Asked in a deposition if she had ever used the N-word, Deen replied: "Yes, of course." But she also insisted "it's been a very long time."
According to the Morgan Lewis website, Speights specializes in defending clients in employment discrimination cases and consulting clients on best practices in corporate diversity.
Court documents filed Thursday asked that all future documents in the case be sent to the Morgan Lewis & Bockius Law Firm and to the Weiner, Shearhouse, Weitz, Greenberg and Shawe law firm in Savannah.
The Oliver Maner law firm and the Gillen Withers and Lake firm in Savannah had been representing Deen, Hiers and their businesses.
Patricia Glaser, of the Los Angeles law firm Glaser Weil, told The Associated Press that Deen had also retained that firm as a general counsel and that it would be monitoring the case.
Calls to each of the other law firms were not immediately returned.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
entertainment
- Washateria shootout leaves one suspect dead
- Battle between Houston mayoral candidates begins
- Woman claims to be mother of abandoned baby
- Two women dead in Montrose area apartment
- Pastor accused of molesting 8-year-old girl
- Judge OKs most evidence in kidnapping, murder trial
- Suspects sought in string of 'acid bomb' incidents
- Reserve deputy arrested after traffic stop in Conroe
- 'New Dome Experience' to go to voters
- Look back at Harris County's building projects
- Berry, Garner push for paparazzi bill
- otrc: Lady Gaga releases new single early
- abcnews: 'Guardian angel' from accident identified
- Video: New waterproofing product put to the test
abc13.com News Links
-
Most Popular
-
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos
- abc13.com home
- Site Map
- RSS
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help
- ABC.com
- ABCNews.com
- Privacy Policy
- Interest-Based Ads
- Safety Information for this site
- Terms of Use
- Copyright ©2013 ABC Inc., KTRK-TV/DT Houston, TX. All Rights Reserved.





