'Fifty Shades' movie casts Dakota Johnson as lead
NEW YORK -- Dakota Johnson will play Anastasia Steele in the big-screen adaptation of E L James' "Fifty Shades of Grey."
Focus Features and Universal Pictures announced the casting Monday. The 23-year-old Johnson is a relatively unknown actress who has had small roles in "The Social Network" and "21 Jump Street." She's the daughter of actors Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith.
In the erotic romance, Steele is a college student who undergoes a sexual awakening. Yet to be announced is the actor who will play the male lead of 27-year-old billionaire Christian Grey.
Directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson, the film is to be released next August.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Severe weather possible this morning 57 min ago
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 7 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- New Houston light rail line to open for business 46 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting 42 min ago
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Woman's body found in SW Houston; suspect arrested
- DA's office: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 33 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Casey Curry's Saturday forecast
56 min ago