'Fifty Shades' movie casts Dakota Johnson as lead
NEW YORK -- Dakota Johnson will play Anastasia Steele in the big-screen adaptation of E L James' "Fifty Shades of Grey."
Focus Features and Universal Pictures announced the casting Monday. The 23-year-old Johnson is a relatively unknown actress who has had small roles in "The Social Network" and "21 Jump Street." She's the daughter of actors Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith.
In the erotic romance, Steele is a college student who undergoes a sexual awakening. Yet to be announced is the actor who will play the male lead of 27-year-old billionaire Christian Grey.
Directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson, the film is to be released next August.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena 58 min ago
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 53 min ago
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?'
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- Federal government could get involved in school fight
- Dying child receives experimental drug
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon