Man enters plea in burglary try at Kid Rock home
PONTIAC, MI -- A man who authorities say tried to break into musician Kid Rock's suburban Detroit home was so drunk at the time that he didn't recall what happened, his lawyer told a judge during a plea hearing.
Brian D. Keith, 43, pleaded no contest Wednesday to attempted home invasion, malicious destruction of a building and malicious destruction of personal property in Oakland County Circuit Court. It's not an admission of guilt, but is treated as such for sentencing.
Keith has previous drunken driving and fraud convictions. Sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 25, and he faces up to life in prison due to his prior record. Judge Wendy Potts, however, said she would consider a sentence of 10-46 months for the three new felonies.
The Detroit Free Press reports defense lawyer Douglas Oliver said he also will ask that Keith receive substance-abuse treatment.
"As a result of intoxicants, he has no independent recollection of his actions that day," Oliver told the judge.
Keith was arrested Aug. 3 after surveillance photos from security cameras on Kid Rock's Clarkston property were released. The photos showed a man ramming the gate July 31 and trying to break into the house. Kid Rock was away at the time.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 59 min ago
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead 21 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- Mateo states his case for cupcakes for dinner 3 min ago
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Woman takes out frustration on Pennsylvania reporter
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- Federal government could get involved in school fight
- David Tillman's weather forecast
5 min ago
- Mutton bustin' champ had second thoughts
52 min ago