Man enters plea in burglary try at Kid Rock home
PONTIAC, MI -- A man who authorities say tried to break into musician Kid Rock's suburban Detroit home was so drunk at the time that he didn't recall what happened, his lawyer told a judge during a plea hearing.
Brian D. Keith, 43, pleaded no contest Wednesday to attempted home invasion, malicious destruction of a building and malicious destruction of personal property in Oakland County Circuit Court. It's not an admission of guilt, but is treated as such for sentencing.
Keith has previous drunken driving and fraud convictions. Sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 25, and he faces up to life in prison due to his prior record. Judge Wendy Potts, however, said she would consider a sentence of 10-46 months for the three new felonies.
The Detroit Free Press reports defense lawyer Douglas Oliver said he also will ask that Keith receive substance-abuse treatment.
"As a result of intoxicants, he has no independent recollection of his actions that day," Oliver told the judge.
Keith was arrested Aug. 3 after surveillance photos from security cameras on Kid Rock's Clarkston property were released. The photos showed a man ramming the gate July 31 and trying to break into the house. Kid Rock was away at the time.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home