Fans gather at Graceland for Presley's birthday
MEMPHIS, TN -- Television and radio personality Wink Martindale remembers the day nearly 60 years ago when Elvis Presley's first single, "That's All Right," played for the first time on the radio.
It was July 8, 1954, and a fresh-faced Martindale was working as a disc jockey at WHBQ in Memphis. He was at the studio when legendary producer Sam Phillips brought by an acetate copy of the song Presley cut at Phillips' Sun Records.
DJ Dewey Phillips - no relation to Sam - played the song on his influential "Red, Hot and Blue" radio show, and rock n' roll history was made.
"It was almost like an out-of-body experience," Martindale told Presley fans who came to Graceland on Wednesday to celebrate the late icon's 79th birthday. "That was the beginning of Presley-mania."
Martindale and Jenna Bush Hager, daughter of former President George W. Bush, attended the annual birthday party at Presley's longtime Memphis home. The event featured a cake cutting and the singing of "Happy Birthday" by 16-year-old Canadian David Thibault.
Bush Hager, a correspondent for the "Today" show, was at Graceland to tour the home and tape a segment with Thibault. The teen from Quebec has gained fame after his singing of "Blue Christmas" garnered millions of views on YouTube.
Bush Hager, Thibault, and Martindale participated in the cake-cutting along with producer Knox Phillips, who is Sam Phillips' son and a member of the Memphis Music Hall of Fame.
Martindale was a longtime friend of Presley, who dated Martindale's wife Sandy before they married.
After his days in Memphis, Martindale went on to TV fame as host of Teenage Dance Party and the game shows Gambit and Tic Tac Dough.
Presley was born in Tupelo, Miss., on Jan. 8, 1935, and moved to Memphis with his parents at age 13. He was 42 when he died Aug. 16, 1977.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co. 3 min ago
- Frustration mounts for church members
- Former Houstonian in iconic WWII photo dies 9 min ago
- Search continues for clues in women's murders 6 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her 34 min ago
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck 28 min ago
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'
- Judge bans gang members from East Aldine Safety Zone
- College students paid to take a year off?
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
38 min ago
- Crime Stoppers using social media to stop...
4 min ago