Jesse Eisenberg cast as Lex Luthor in planned Superman-Batman film
Warner Bros. has announced that Jesse Eisenberg will play Lex Luthor in the studio's planned Superman-Batman film.
The casting of the 30-year-old Eisenberg was met with a wave of surprise on social media Friday. Eisenberg is a widely respected actor but isn't known for the kind of villainous gravitas that Gene Hackman brought to the role.
The Superman-Batman film is to be directed by Zac Snyder and many also questioned the choice of Ben Affleck for Batman. Reprising the role of Superman is Henry Cavill.
Snyder says Eisenberg allows the film to take Luthor in "some new and unexpected directions."
Jeremy Irons was also cast as Alfred, Bruce Wayne's loyal guardian. Alfred was played by Michael Caine in the "Dark Knight" trilogy.
The film is set to open in May 2016.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby 29 min ago
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels 45 min ago
- One killed in west Houston wreck 48 min ago
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant