Jesse Eisenberg cast as Lex Luthor in planned Superman-Batman film
Warner Bros. has announced that Jesse Eisenberg will play Lex Luthor in the studio's planned Superman-Batman film.
The casting of the 30-year-old Eisenberg was met with a wave of surprise on social media Friday. Eisenberg is a widely respected actor but isn't known for the kind of villainous gravitas that Gene Hackman brought to the role.
The Superman-Batman film is to be directed by Zac Snyder and many also questioned the choice of Ben Affleck for Batman. Reprising the role of Superman is Henry Cavill.
Snyder says Eisenberg allows the film to take Luthor in "some new and unexpected directions."
Jeremy Irons was also cast as Alfred, Bruce Wayne's loyal guardian. Alfred was played by Michael Caine in the "Dark Knight" trilogy.
The film is set to open in May 2016.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Texans reportedly release TE Owen Daniels 22 min ago
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be? 10 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns' 2 min ago
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Video: Winning Mutton Bustin rider shares her secret 9 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'
- Winning Mutton Bustin rider shares her secret
9 min ago
- Residents upset over planned housing project
5 min ago