Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo's Leroy Shafer to step down as chief operating officer
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Eyewitness News has learned that Leroy Shafer, the chief operating officer of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, is stepping down.
Shafer is going to step down as COO later this year, after what will be his 40th year with the rodeo.
In a statement, Shafer said:
"Today I responded to a reporter's question about me having been at the Show for more than 40 years and about what how long I would continue working. I responded that I would remain involved in the Show as long as I was physically able to do so -- and I hope that is a long, long time.
"I do plan to step into a manager emeritus status at the end of September when I will turn 70 years old. I plan to continue to work with the Show in the realm of marketing, presentation, entertainment, crisis management and in any other areas that Show officials want my assistance.
"I definitely am not going away and I look forward to helping the Show continue to succeed in accomplishing it mission of supporting agriculture while benefitting youth and education."
According to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo website, Shafer began his career there in 1973 as assistant manager for public relations and worked his way up over the years. He has served as COO since 2005. He oversees the massive effort it takes to put on the event each year which includes an army of volunteers to handle millions of visitors.
This year's rodeo kicks off March 4. Check out the lineup of this year's entertainers.
No other details were immediately available.
Stay with Eyewitness News for the latest details.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
houston livestock show and rodeo, rodeo houston, entertainment
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault
- Smash-and-grab suspects lead police on chase 12 min ago
- Photos: 7 big brands that are stuggling
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare
- Video: Why ABC-13 anchors don't wear green on St....
- Officer-involved shooting under investigation in SW Houston 4 min ago
- 'Dancing With the Stars' season 18 kicks off tonight
- Indianapolis Colts owner arrested for DWI 17 min ago
- Residents jump from windows to escape apartment fire
- Don't click on those Malaysia Airlines Facebook posts 49 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded
- Keep grays at bay with root touch-up products
- Teen fatally shot remembered in service in Spring
- Canada-Mexico flight makes emergency Montana stop