Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo's Leroy Shafer to step down as chief operating officer
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Eyewitness News has learned that Leroy Shafer, the chief operating officer of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, is stepping down.
Shafer is going to step down as COO later this year, after what will be his 40th year with the rodeo.
In a statement, Shafer said:
"Today I responded to a reporter's question about me having been at the Show for more than 40 years and about what how long I would continue working. I responded that I would remain involved in the Show as long as I was physically able to do so -- and I hope that is a long, long time.
"I do plan to step into a manager emeritus status at the end of September when I will turn 70 years old. I plan to continue to work with the Show in the realm of marketing, presentation, entertainment, crisis management and in any other areas that Show officials want my assistance.
"I definitely am not going away and I look forward to helping the Show continue to succeed in accomplishing it mission of supporting agriculture while benefitting youth and education."
According to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo website, Shafer began his career there in 1973 as assistant manager for public relations and worked his way up over the years. He has served as COO since 2005. He oversees the massive effort it takes to put on the event each year which includes an army of volunteers to handle millions of visitors.
This year's rodeo kicks off March 4. Check out the lineup of this year's entertainers.
No other details were immediately available.
Stay with Eyewitness News for the latest details.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
houston livestock show and rodeo, rodeo houston, entertainment
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Most insane job interview ever
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake
- Suspect: 'My girl is about to rob the store'
- Marriage fraud conspiracy lands 4 in prison
- Man held up on his way home from bank
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos