Clinic focuses on triple negative breast cancer
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- One in 10 women with breast cancer have an aggressive form called triple negative cancer. The cancer is resistant to drugs that work for other types of breast cancer. But a new clinic for triple negative breast cancer is going about treatment in a different way.
Brenda Sorrells is trying something totally new for her breast cancer. She has what's called triple negative breast cancer.
"This is a killer cancer, so I was like scared to death," Sorrells said.
One in 10 women have this triple negative breast cancer, which is an aggressive, frustrating cancer that tends to hit young women -- African-American and Hispanic women. Triple negative means the main breast cancer drugs like Tamoxifen, aromatase inhibitors and Herceptin won't work.
"The current standard of treatments are not good enough," said Dr. Angel Rodriguez, medical director of the Methodist Triple Negative Breast Cancer Clinic.
Dr. Rodriguez says triple negative patients should go straight into a clinical trial like Sorrells.
"We were able to offer her a clinical trial with a more promising treatment before the cancer spreads, in hopes the cancer never comes back," Dr. Rodriguez said. "Most of the patients when they inquire about, ask about clinical trials the cancer has already spread."
After 12 treatments, Dr. Rodriguez said Sorrells' mass is gone.
In this new clinic for triple negative breast cancer, they're not only treating women like Sorrells today, but they're working on experimental treatments that will help women today and in the future.
The bell tolls the end of Sorrells' first round of experimental therapy. She still faces surgery, more chemo, and radiation. But now she has hope.
"It's shrunk and it's working and I'm happy about it all," she said.
healthcheck, christi myers
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 15 min ago
- It's Free Stuff Friday! 48 min ago
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys foil carjacking in San Antonio 5 min ago
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain 49 min ago
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody 40 min ago
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe