Houston physician will be torch bearer in 2012 Summer Olympics in London
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It is a once in a lifetime opportunity for one Houston physician. Dr. William Zoghbi will be in the worldwide spotlight as a torch bearer in the 2012 Olympics in London.
This is a quick run this morning for Dr. Zoghbi. He is preparing to serve as an Olympic torch bearer for the 2012 Summer Olympics.
"To be part of the event and what it means I think it is an opportunity of a lifetime," Dr. Zoghbi said.
He was chosen for the honor because he is president of the American College of Cardiology. For him, the Olympics provides the ideal forum to focus on heart health and fitness.
"I think if you protect what is given, take care of that body, I think we would be doing the best we could do for humanity," he said.
A native of Beirut, Lebanon, Dr. Zoghbi came to the United States in 1977 and has called Houston and the Methodist Hospital home for more than 30 years.
"I almost feel like a citizen of the world," Dr. Zoghbi said.
And while he has traveled the world over, including visits to London, the site of the 2012 Olympics, his 300 meter run will be his first visit to Bicester, England.
"I'm not nervous, but I am actually excited to experience it. My wife would be with me and we have some friends also and people from the American College of Cardiology that will be going," said Dr. Zoghbi.
As he prepares for his moment in the Olympic spotlight, his thoughts will be on more than himself, but on the sights and sounds surrounding him.
"I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of scenes in front of me. I will try to absorb the energy of so many people, the diversity of people who will be lining right and left while I am doing it," he said.
There will be 8,000 runners carrying the Olympic torch across Great Britain. Each bearer will have the option of keeping their torch. Dr. Zoghbi plans to keep his at the headquarters of the American College of Cardiology in Washington.
healthcheck, christi myers
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor 4 min ago
- Teen reunites with family after found safe 23 min ago
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Most insane job interview ever
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- German Shepherd called to jury duty in New Jersey
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced 52 min ago
- Fears rise for missing in SKorea ferry sinking
- All 'View' co-hosts will salute Barbara Walters