New Texas Trauma Institute to streamline care
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It's official -- Memorial Hermann Hospital is again the busiest trauma center in the country. It treats more than 55,000 patients a year. Now it has a plan to streamline trauma care.
His injuries were critical. To get him to this, his best shot at survival, he was airlifted by LifeFlight.
A sick child took a sudden turn for the worse. He, too, came in by air.
This man had a motorcycle accident in another county and was transported by LifeFlight to Memorial Hermann Hospital.
All of them arrived by air on yesterday.
Dr. Red Duke started LifeFlight 36 years ago. It's now the busiest air ambulance in the country and Memorial Hermann Hospital is the busiest trauma center; even with all this.
"People still die and I keep preaching, any injury is a preventable problem," said Dr. Duke.
"The reason children die is injury. The most common cause of death in children is injury," said Dr. Cox with UT Health, Texas Trauma Institute.
The new Texas Trauma Institute will focus on making trauma care more efficient, doing more trauma research, saving more lives. And helping trauma survivors recover more fully.
"When we look at what we did in the military, we look at a comprehensive system survival improved up to 20 percent in some cases when you really focus everybody's efforts," said Dr. John Holcomb, Director of the Texas Trauma Institute.
What they learn will make it more likely that those who lie on these gurneys in the future, will live to go home to their families.
Trauma injury is the leading cause of death from ages one to 44. The new Texas Trauma Institute is the first of its kind in Texas.
healthcheck, christi myers
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 23 min ago
- It's Free Stuff Friday! 56 min ago
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys foil carjacking in San Antonio 13 min ago
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain 57 min ago
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody 48 min ago
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe