Houstonians mark World Heart Day
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Saturday was World Heart Day, and some Houstonians took the opportunity to learn more about good heart health.
They received free heart disease screenings at Greenspoint Mall where doctors also talked about risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
Former Washington Redskin Darrell Green was also there to encourage people to get active. The NFL hall of famer formed WalkFitHealth to promote simple walking as a path to good health.
"Walkfit really gives people a chance to interact with one another, gives them a chance to challenge one another, gives them a chance to win prizes," Green said. "I think that sometimes you do have to stimulate people differently."
The American Heart Association says heart disease causes one out of four deaths in Texas.
- Texans release TE Owen Daniels 26 min ago
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be?
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink 7 min ago
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight 53 min ago
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects 43 min ago
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat