Healthy tips you've never heard
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Everyone likes ideas that can make your life better. Here's one: Laugh more. It will relax blood vessels which protect the heart.
We need painkillers but did you know that taking aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen on a regular basis can cause hair loss?
"Chronic use of these non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can stunt your hair growth. It puts your hair in a resting state, rather than a growth state," pharmacist and author Sherry Torkos said.
Our tip: it's reversible. Torkos warns that blood pressure medicines may also cause hair loss.
Can't sleep at night? Take a second look at decongestants.
"They can cause racing hearts, they can increase your blood pressure and they can cause insomnia and sleeplessness. And if you have glaucoma or prostate disease, it can actually worsen those conditions," Torkos said.
Instead of decongestants, she recommends using alkalol in a neti pot to wash out the sinuses. The alkalol, made of cinnamon and essential oils, clears mucus. And watch for hidden antihistamines.
"Beware when you take some of these over-the-counter sleep aids, you're actually getting antihistamine," Torkos said.
Antihistamines can leave you sleepy the next day.
Love chips? Here's a tip: Swap potato chips for tortilla chips. Tortilla chips have more fiber and less fat. And some are fortified with plant sterols which can lower bad cholesterol.
What's the healthiest oil? She says palm fruit oil. It increases good cholesterol, has lots of antioxidants and they stay potent when its heated. Be careful, get the right palm oil.
"When you're reading the labels, you look for palm fruit oil. Avoid products with hydrogenated palm oil or palm kernel oil, they're very different," Torkos said.
And one more tip: if you feel a little down or depressed, doctors say take a brisk, 20-minute walk. It can increase circulation and serotonin levels which improve mood.
healthcheck, christi myers
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home