Free health screenings available at Discovery Green
HOUSTON -- The American Kidney Fund will host Kidney Action Day, which includes a fundraising walkathon, at Discovery Green in Downtown Houston to raise awareness of kidney disease.
The event is designed to educate those at risk for chronic kidney disease about the leading causes of the disease. Kidney disease is a serious health concern in Texas, where the prevalence rate is higher than the national average. As the eighth-leading cause of death in the United States, kidney disease affects 31 million Americans, but nine out of 10 people with early kidney disease don't know they have it.
This free event, featuring health screenings, entertainment and food demonstrations, is open to the public.
The event will be held at Discovery Green, 1500 McKinney Street on Sunday frin 10am to 2:30pm. The Kidney Action Day Walk begins at 11:45am. No pre-registration is required for members of the public 18 and older to participate in the screenings.
For more information on Kidney Action Day, visit www.kidneyfund.org/kidney-action-day/ For more information on the American Kidney Fund, visit www.kidneyfund.org.
- Body found inside burned out postal worker's Jeep
- Boy, 6, drowns in Fort Bend County pool 44 min ago
- Powerball jackpot jumps to $600 million
- Witnesses rescue woman from kidnapping attempt
- Robbery suspects lead police on overnight chase 52 min ago
- Nuisance buildings around Houston coming down today
- Triathletes pushing themselves today in The Woodlands 47 min ago
- Granbury residents prepare to return home 18 min ago
- Two more tornadoes touch down in N. Texas town 6 min ago
- NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles, says SKorea 2 min ago
- 70 injured as Connecticut commuter trains collide 23 min ago
- otrc: Emma Watson talks 'tramp stamp'
- abcnews: Pat Robertson tells cheater's wife 'He's a...
- Video: Trapped ducklings saved by phone app
- David Tillman's Saturday forecast
9 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos