Free health screenings available at Discovery Green
HOUSTON -- The American Kidney Fund will host Kidney Action Day, which includes a fundraising walkathon, at Discovery Green in Downtown Houston to raise awareness of kidney disease.
The event is designed to educate those at risk for chronic kidney disease about the leading causes of the disease. Kidney disease is a serious health concern in Texas, where the prevalence rate is higher than the national average. As the eighth-leading cause of death in the United States, kidney disease affects 31 million Americans, but nine out of 10 people with early kidney disease don't know they have it.
This free event, featuring health screenings, entertainment and food demonstrations, is open to the public.
The event will be held at Discovery Green, 1500 McKinney Street on Sunday frin 10am to 2:30pm. The Kidney Action Day Walk begins at 11:45am. No pre-registration is required for members of the public 18 and older to participate in the screenings.
For more information on Kidney Action Day, visit www.kidneyfund.org/kidney-action-day/ For more information on the American Kidney Fund, visit www.kidneyfund.org.
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare
- Teen fatally shot remembered in service in Spring
- Car leaves gaping hole in apartment complex
- Record tied at RodeoHouston school art auction
- Crimea votes to secede from Ukraine
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded 15 min ago
- Canada-Mexico flight makes emergency Montana stop 22 min ago
- Facebook campaign aims to save dog that mauled 4-year-old
- Magnitude-6.2 quake hits Chile's northern coast 20 min ago
- Last words from missing jet came after shutdown
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Foster tweets he's been medically cleared to play
- Wrong way driver dies after slamming into students' SUV