UTMB doctors' love story full of faith, trust and pixie dust
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Sometimes, two people are fated to be together -- like two local doctors. Years went by after they met. But they're finally together after 11 years, and they credit God and a mother's Facebook account for their life together.
The love story of Niki Caraynannoopoulos, the orthopedic surgeon, and George Caraynannoopoulos, the cardiologist, began when they met at age 15 at their Greek church. Half a dozen years later, they met again in college. But then they lost touch during their medical training. He ended up in New York. She was in her residency at UTMB.
How Niki and George met the third time can be partly credited in part to his mother.
"She said, Why don't you look her up on Facebook?' And I told my mom, 'Well, I don't have a Facebook account.' My mom goes, 'I have a Facebook account. Let's look her up,'" Dr. George Caraynannoopoulos said.
They got in touch and met for the third time at a party on a New York rooftop.
"That was our first time to see each other after almost 11 years. It was like fireworks and they knew something special was happening," Dr. George Caraynannoopoulos said.
"One of our friends said it was like a Disney movie," Dr. Niki Caraynannoopoulos said.
They married in Houston, but where to live? They were in different states and didn't want a long distance marriage. Then out of the blue, they both got offers from UTMB -- him to direct the Heart Rhythm Center, her to be chief of orthopedic trauma surgery.
There are long hours, but working in the same place has helped.
"That's the bright spot of our day, is to be able to spend a little time together and to see each other, even briefly. It means the world to me," Dr. Niki Caraynannoopoulos said.
In their off time, they like to spend evenings watching their wedding video or watching the waves.
"I think God kept opening up these doors because it was meant to be," Dr. Niki Caraynannoopoulos said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
healthcheck, christi myers
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase in north Houston 59 min ago
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038 23 min ago
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Suspected drunk driver in Atascocita fatal crash due in court 20 min ago
- Two charged in death of North Texas student