Memorial Hermann to open hospital in Pearland
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- People in Pearland will soon have a new place to go for medical care. Memorial Hermann is building a new hospital on Highway 288 near Farm Road 518.
Pearland is one of the fastest growing communities in Texas and it will soon have a new medical complex. Memorial Herman met with architects this afternoon to start designing and drawing up plans.
The Memorial Hermann Imaging Center is on the corner of what will become a mini-medical center in Pearland.
"Within the next 10 years, it's going to grow 100,000 people so that's why we want to put a hospital in Pearland -- the growth," Memorial Hermann Pearland CEO Erin Asprec said.
A 64-bed hospital will be built on a 40-acre field. It's expected to open in 2015 and will have operating rooms, and women's and neonatology services. And the hospital is set up to double its size when needed.
The facility will handle a lot of medical procedures but many of them will be outpatient services. For complicated heart surgery, people will still be sent to the Texas Medical Center.
"There are some things that we definitely won't have. If you want open heart surgery or heart failure -- all the great things that our Texas Medical Center facility does -- we will by no means replicate that. They will go to the Texas Medical Center," Asprec said.
The Pearland campus will also have a 24-hour ER and what's called a convenient care center for adult and children's primary care, sports medicine and rehabilitation. Those facilities are expected to open next year.
"We would offer orthopedic surgery, ENT, neurology, medicine, cardiology, women's and children's, and everything you could think of outpatient," Asprec said.
The Memorial Hermann System has 11 hospitals and they're already handling 69,000 visits from Pearland residents a year. With a hospital there and a coordinated medical complex, they expect an even higher numbers of patients.
Memorial Hermann isn't the only medical group to expand in Pearland. Kelsey Seybold is building a new clinic here and Texas Children's opened an Obstetrics and gynecology clinic here in January.
healthcheck, christi myers
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class
- Will the mascots remain the same? 39 min ago
- Recognize the guy in this sketch?
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Kim Jong Un's uncle executed as traitor
- Bride accused of pushing husband off cliff pleads guilty
- What was interpreter REALLY signing
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- House approves budget bill; now goes to Senate 30 min ago
- 'Fake' interpreter: 'I was hallucinating'
- Driver charged after turning to cosmetic for revenge
- California man accused of running 'revenge porn' site