Singer Amy Grant shares her emotional struggle as a caregiver of parents with dementia
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Amy Grant is known for her music, the songs she writes and her six Grammys. But she wants people to know her as a caregiver as well.
Grant has gone public with the story of her parents' struggle with dementia, which impacted her career. In 2008, she stopped touring to help take care of her parents.
Now, Grant wants to share the insights she's learned with other families facing the same emotional struggle.
First, it was her mother.
"My mother started having absences from reality," Grant said.
Grant's father, a respected cancer doctor, took care of her mother, and then he began developing symptoms of dementia.
Her mother died last year. Now her father no longer recognizes her.
"My father's heart is still there," she said. "And that's good."
Her father's dementia began when he starting forgetting words, then he began acting out of character. A frugal man, he bought a house he didn't need on a whim.
"My dad bought a house one Saturday at public auction and offered more than the house was worth," Grant said. "And we all said, 'Who is this?'"
Grant says five years of caregiving taught her and her four sisters lessons about solving problems, talking honestly and clarifying what's important.
"Any difficult thing in life, if it can be reframed to have purpose, is not unbearable," she said.
Grant recommends a website called insureUonline.org, which helps consumers plan for some of the financial problems involved in expensive care for parents with dementia. It's set up by people who head state insurance commissions to help people avoid mistakes when they're looking for long-term care insurance.
healthcheck, christi myers
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet 51 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Colorado collects $2 million in recreational pot taxes 48 min ago
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant