The Center for Children and Women medical facility opening in Greenspoint area
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Families looking for easier access to healthcare for their children learned of a new place on Sunday that's offering assistance.
The waiting and examination rooms were empty Sunday afternoon, but this week, patients of the Texas Children's Health Plan will start filing into The Center for Children and Women in the Greenspoint area.
"There are a lot of people this is going to benefit simply because of the location," parent Tracey Walton said.
Families touring the center this weekend told us they often find it tough to travel to the Texas Medical Center for care -- a concern not lost on Texas Children's Hospital.
The new Center for Children and Women targets a specific population.
"About half of the children we take care of at Texas Children's Hospital are covered by the Medicaid program and the CHIP program," TCH President and CEO Mark Wallace said. "So, this is an extension of the mission of the TCH, coming to Greenspoint, where there's a very large pediatric population."
The center is valuable, too, because the thousands of patients coming here will have access to not just pediatric and OB-GYN care, but also to eye and dental care and a pharmacy, among other services.
"It truly represents the one stop shop," Tangula Taylor with The Center for Children and Women said. "We offer the OB care, and then once the child is born, we offer the pediatric care. What a great marriage to have."
The one-stop-shop approach is appealing to area parents.
"I'm just excited about a new place to bring my daughter and keep up with her health," parent Shantrelle Bivens said.
And when keeping up with a child's health means more than just an annual visit, this facility is designed to help. The facility will be open seven days a week wih extended hours -- as late as 11pm on weeekdays. For more information, visit www.TheCenter.texaschildrenshealthplan.org.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
healthcheck, elissa rivas
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate 27 min ago
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 53 min ago
- One killed in head on collision with dump truck
- Search expands for missing Rice U student
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from hotel
- Police: Rapper incited riot at SXSW 39 min ago
- Teen arrested after allegedly racing illegally
- Kevin Spacey fires back at Rob Ford 38 min ago
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million