Oreo addictive response found to be stronger than cocaine
If you are a fan of Oreos and can't eat just one, there might be a good reason why.
A new study claims they can be just as addictive as cocaine.
Researchers at Connecticut College studied rats and found that eating the popular sandwich cookies activated more neurons in the brain's "pleasure center" than exposure to drugs.
The scientists say they believe that high-fat foods loaded with sugar stimulate the brain in the same way that drugs do.
But one consumer group is criticizing the study. The Center of Consumer Freedom says "food addiction claims" are not real.
The group says Cambridge University researchers recently re-issued a warning not to regard "food addiction" as the cause of obesity, noting they found "no conclusive evidence" of food withdrawal and little reason to equate food and narcotics.
"You don't see anyone holding up a convenience store to feed their deep addiction to Snickers bars," said J. Justin Wilson, CCF's senior research analyst. "Before we start sounding the alarms and pulling Oreos off the shelf, it's best to note this 'study' is the unpublished abstract of not-yet-peer-reviewed research that has yet to even be presented for scrutiny."
The students conducted the study with Joseph Schroeder, associate professor of psychology and director of the behavioral neuroscience program at the college.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Texans reportedly release TE Owen Daniels
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be?
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns' 53 min ago
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Video: Winning Mutton Bustin rider shares her secret
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'
- Residents upset over planned housing project
56 min ago