Baby born with heart outside body celebrates first birthday
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Happy birthday, Audrina!
Audrina Cardenas was born one year ago Tuesday with her heart outside her body. The very next day, she endured a six-hour surgery at Texas Children's Hospital in which a team of surgeons actually put it back inside her!
Audrina was born with a rare condition called Ectopia Cordis. Only 8 in one million babies are born with that condition and 90 percent of them are either stillborn or die within the first three days of life, according to Texas Children's Hospital.
Audrina was able to celebrate her birthday free of medications, but is still on oxygen. Her development is improving every day and she's now crawling and even trying to walk.
She will still require another surgery in the next few months to construct a chest wall to protect her heart and repair cardiac defects associated with her condition.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star 28 min ago
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers 46 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin