Young bone marrow recipient from Houston meets donor who saved her life
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- We have an update on Houston's little "Will and Kate," the siblings who have been struggling to survive a lethal bone marrow disorder. Three-year-old Kate found a donor, and we have that special moment when Kate met him and said thank you in a way that melted his heart.
Kate Boggan flung her arms around her prince charming. She had never seen Lance McDaniels before, but she knew that he saved her life.
"Lance was crying. I was crying. It was just very emotional," Kate's mother Lindsay Boggan said.
The 26-year-old single man from California donated his bone marrow to Kate, who was born with a lethal bone marrow disorder. He signed up to be a match when a college professor suggested it.
"I got 10 points extra credit on my next test," jokes McDaniels.
Lindsay and Alex Boggan had waited almost two years to thank their daughter's donor in person and were amazed at the instant bond he had with their three-year-old.
"His body, and his DNA is what's keeping her body alive. It's just remarkable," Boggan said.
Kate is doing well, but her little brother, Will, was born with the same genetic disorder, and his donor backed out at the last minute.
"It was still heartbreaking," Boggan said.
They found another match for Will, and he had a bone marrow transplant in June. But that experience made them all the more appreciative of the young man who don't think twice about saving Kate's life. And even at three, Kate understands.
Kate's family is planning to visit McDaniels and his girlfriend in California, and Kate has decided she wants to be in McDaniels's wedding.
"She's determined that Lance and Lacey are going to get married and that she's going to throw flowers at his wedding. We'll see if that happens but she put the pressure on! Boggan said.
After all, Kate and McDaniels are very much like family.
You can sign up for the Be The Match registry by taking a simple test that you can do at home. To learn how, go to BeTheMatch.org
healthcheck, christi myers
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 9 min ago
- Vigil held for women slain in Galveston County
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant
- Reliant Stadium may be changing names
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- HCSO: Father shoots man hiding under daughter's bed 38 min ago
- Gas blast destroys 2 NY buildings; 6 people dead
- Woman delivers her own baby on drive to hospital
- Police: Man tried to run over triple amputee in N. Houston
- GM excluded crash deaths from ignition inquiry
- Utah trucker accused of keeping sex slaves 52 min ago
- Man in reported stolen car leads police on short chase 57 min ago
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- George Zimmerman's parents suing Roseanne Barr