Tips to keep candy from playing tricks on kids' teeth
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- If your trick-or-treaters head out, what happens when they bring home their haul? We're taking a look at the best and the worst candy for their teeth.
When candy sticks to teeth, dentists say that's the worst kind of Halloween candy for kids' teeth.
"Caramels can actually remove the sealant from your child's teeth. And you don't want that to happen because the sealants are there to put a protective layer over the teeth to prevent cavities. They also can pull crowns out," dentist Dr. Terri Alani said.
Gummy candies get into the crevices of teeth. Crackers and pretzels are starchy and also stick to teeth.
So parents the best choice are the candies like chocolate that come off the teeth easily. The candies that lead to cavities are the candies that stick to the teeth.
After eating candy, you want your children to brush unless they've eaten sour candy. Then they should wait 30 minutes to brush.
"The reason you wait 30 minutes is you want the acid to be neutralized by their saliva," Dr. Alani said.
She says it's better to eat candy during or after a meal than by itself.
And finally, the sweetest tip of all: Send your trick-or-treaters out with a full stomach.
healthcheck, christi myers
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder 48 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes 18 min ago
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead 40 min ago
- More Houstonians using METRO system 12 min ago
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Miley fan sneaked into Omaha dressing room 17 min ago
- 'Burger King baby' now seeks birth mom on Facebook 21 min ago
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
44 min ago
- Learning doesn't stop at Houston Rodeo
59 min ago